Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lakefront 10 Race Report

Well, my race day started at 5:30 AM. I immediately developed a major case of pre-race jitters when I woke up. I could believe how strong I would feel this.

I ended up eating my pre-race sandwich consisting on PB&J on rice bread. I needed to make sure that I ate it two hours before the race to prevent any GI reactions. I then took Sadie for a walk so she takes care of her business before leaving.

The weather could not be more perfect for this race. I was able to catch a Broadway bus right away to take me to Montrose. After I got off the bus, I walked towards the Lakefront.

Upon my arrival, I obtained my chip and placed it on my shoe. After I put my chip, I found my friend, Jolene, who entered the race too. She helped me to my hair up into a ponytail as we stood to wait for the start of the race.

We ended up doing a warm up run to keep our legs loosened up. Then it was time to head to the starting line. Before we knew it, it was time to start.

I knew that I started off way too fast the first two miles. I paid the price starting around mile 5. I was so happy to see the people handing out the Clif Shots. I have never ripped anything faster than today.

The hills after mile 7 was absolutely brudal. I was already starting to lose steam and didn't need anything to take any strength away. The last mile seemed to take forever. I wanted to walk part of it, but kept on going.

Mile 1 - 8:44
Mile 2 - 8:55
Mile 3 - 9:19
Mile 4 - 9:19
Mile 5 - 9:26
Mile 6 - 9:27
Mile 7 - 9:37
Mile 8 - 9:36
Mile 9 - 9:30
Mile 10 - 9:28

Finish Time - 1:33:46
Avg. Pace - 9:20/mi

When I finished and obtained my finisher's medal, I looked for my friend, Jolene, who dropped me off at home. I was so happy to be home where I can relax. I ended up taking a nap on the couch when I was started to get sleepy.

After my nap, I went out to Goose Island for my free beer. I ended up with having two pints of Cubby Blueberry Ale, which was wonderful.

Tommorow - 30 minute recovery run (and a good massage!)


chia said...

Great times!!!

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

It's awesome how you maintained your consistency even after the fast start.  North Shore < 2:00:00 baby!

Lora said...

Woohoo!! UGOGIRL!!

I was volunteering at the I-Runs tent, but didnt see you. Darn!!

Hmm...I'm thinking of doing the North Shore Half...but that hill at mile 9 scares the crap out of me!!

Wes said...

Nice job!! nothing like a good beer to restore carbs after the race! Happy recovery run!!

Ted said...

Kudos !!! Nice pace. Outstanding. I have enjoyed your post race report. You sure rocks !!! Enjoy the recovery and massage will do the wonder.

Danielle said...

Great job. A massage sounds so nice...

Steve Stenzel said...

NICE RUN! Man, you can really hold a steady pace! Well done!!