Translate

Friday, January 05, 2007

Cross-Training Friday...and a Century ride!

Well, I did get my butt out of bed this morning and made it to the gym. That's after going to the craft store for some supplies. When I was checking out, I took a double-take and noticed it was my former mother-in-law, who I have not seen since I was divorced from husband #1 (yes, that's another LONG blog about that!) which was OVER 4 years now. We had a small conversation, which she asked about where I was working, etc. before I left. It was a pleasant conversation...and not the weirded out one I had when we separated ways. Today's work-out 40 minutes - Elliptical machine 4.02 miles 475 calories burned 9:57/mile - YES, the rest really did help!! Running Jayhawk inspired me a little bit yesterday for my next blog entry since things are a little quiet for now. I will take all of you on my own century ride...not the one on my bike, but one about ME. 1. My full name is Denise Marie Hanson. 2. My first name was named after my late-father's ex-girlfriend in high school. 3. I found that out when I was 15 while sitting in the car a drive-in diner with my parents. 4. I do not know WHY the hell my mom allowed him to name me after an ex-girlfriend...who knows?! 5. I am in my last year of college and expect to graduate in December 2007, but not walking during the graduation ceremony until May 2008. 6. I took a 5 year break from college to be with my oldest child after attempting to go to school for 18 months. 7. I took another break before that for 3 years after I received my professional diploma as a pharmacy technician. 8. I still have the skills to be a pharmacy technician, but I REFUSE to take the National Certification Examination. NO WAY! 9. My next attempt at a college degree was in Exercise Science/Nutrition with an emphasis in Athletic Coaching. 10. I did well in my classes 'cept I could NOT pass Anatomy and Physiology worth SHIT! 11. I had a professor who had an M.D., but did not want to practice medicine, but torture poor students like me who can not pass A & P. 12. I was married the first time at the age at 21. 13. I was WAY too young to be married at that time - after looking back at how stupid I was then. 14. I had my first child, Brandon, when I was 22, and I love him dearly. 15. He was born via C-section because he was literately SUCK in the birth canal because of his big head - like his dad (who refer his "big head" as something not so pleasant.) 16. I also worked part time in the schools as a substitute paraprofessional. 17. I was that recess and lunchroom lady that everyone LOVED n elementary school. 18. I also worked in the middle and high schools too. 19. I also worked as a data entry clerk in a financial center too. 20. My youngest child, Eva (like Eva Gabor), was born was 27 via c-section. 21. I had an emergency gall-bladder removal surgery (and fixed my herniated belly button that had been waiting for over 27 years) exactly 3 weeks after the c-section. Owww! (Yes, TWO major surgeries in a short time!) 22. I had to BEG the doctor - under the influence of anesthesia - to be admitted into the hospital instead of going home afterward because of the pain and would not be taken of at home properly. 23. I had gestational diabetes - and taking insulin - when I was pregnant with my youngest child, which turned into Type 2 Diabetes. 24. I was told about one week before the second surgery that if I do not lose the excess weight (50 lbs) quickly that I would be taking the insulin for the rest of my life. 25. That was a HUGE wake-up call for me so I made the decision to lose weight using Weight Watchers. 26. On May 6, 2002, I joined Weight Watchers and started my weight loss journey. 27. In late-July 2002, my ex-husband wanted me to stop the program, even though I was under doctor advisement to stay on. 28. I told him, "NO!" and kiss my cute A** instead! 29. On August 24, 2002, I asked for divorce from my first husband. 30. Two days later, my ex-husband moved out. 31. I moved into my first apartment on my own since age 18 on December 1, 2002. 32. I became a lifetime member of WW on January 6, 2003 - losing a total 50.2 lbs. 33. I met my current husband on January 18, 2003. 34. He proposed to me on July 14, 2003 - when I came out of the recovery room after having a complete hysterectomy and STILL groggy from the anesthesia. 35. We were married on August 6, 2004. 36. I completed my Associate of Science degree in Law Enforcement on August 4, 2006 - according to my alumnus. 37. I am currently eligible to hired and licenced as a police officer in the state of Minnesota. 38. I can shoot a firearm. 39. I do not like shooting carbines or rifle because they have too much kick for this petite body. 40. I am an alumna of two high schools - technically. 41. I moved to Colorado Springs when I had ONE semester of high school left. 42. It was the best thing in my life because it helped me to be who I am now. 43. I was on my MN high school's school mascot squad for TWO years and eventually co-captain of the squad. 44. I wanted to be a cheerleader. :( 45. I was involved in the school choir for 3 1/2 years. 46. In the choir, I am a soprano and hit over 2 octaves in high school. 47. I was known as the "Mariah Carey" for the school choir and something that NO ONE could beat during my high school years. 48. I also was involved in the school plays as part of the makeup crew. 49. I started running after my dad's passing in May 15, 2005 at 5 pm. (Look at all of the 5's! Scary!) 50. My dad died from complications from leukemia and about 3 months after his bone marrow transplant. 51. I started to be involved with Team in Training and ran my first marathon at P.F. Chang's Rock and Roll Marathon. 52. I met Running Jayhawk on MySpace over a year ago when she wrote to me when she noticed that I was heading to Phoenix as well for P.F. Chang's. 53. I met her briefly while we were there twice - once when we were in the lobby and when I was heading to the bus for the starting line. (Yes, Barb - I remember this!) 54. We did not spend much time talking in person until I came out to Chicago for NYE this past weekend. 55. My biggest pet peeves are people who do not know how to drive, drive too slow in the fast lane, do not signal, rude, and who do not call back or acknowledge e-mails. 56. I have a HUGE chocoholic, like my dad. 57. I love running around Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis. 58. I love going to Jamba Juice and Whole Foods after my summer run at Lake Calhoun. 59. I love doing wheat grass shots with the slice of orange afterwards. Yummmmm! 60. I also LOVE Cold Stone ice cream. 61. My new favorite flavor is the Dark Chocolate Peppermint with chocolate chips. YUMMMMY! 62. I work at the University of St. Thomas as a Public Safety Officer and a fill-in dispatcher. 63. I work on the Minneapolis campus in the School of Law. 64. I love my job in the winter time because I am inside, but hate looking at the gloomy skies. 65. I love my job in the summertime as well because I venture outside, but see more stupid drunks who attempt to take baths in the campus fountain when the temps reach over 80. 66. I took photography in high school and LOVED it. 67. My dad's friend from high school gave me one of his professional cameras to use and then gave it to me to keep....and STILL have to this day (and USE too for really GOOD shots!). 68. I wanted to be the photographer on the school newspaper in my senior of high school. 69. I ran for student council all four years of high school...and LOST! 70. I did not have my first serious boyfriend until I moved to Colorado Springs and met him 2 week later. 71. We dated for 10 months before he treated me bad and I moved back home to Minnesota. 72. I did not date for 2 months and swore off of guys after him. 73. That's before I had got set-up by a bunch of junior-high kids at a Church Lock-in that I volunteered for and help out. 74. They set their own chaperone up with me by SLOOOOOOWLY during a dance by bringing him to me. 75. I was 19 at the time and he was 29. (Yes, I was aware of the age difference...who the FUCK cares!) 76. That relationship lasted only 3 weeks because we could not get together due to our distance between our homes...and it SNOWED badly on the days that we tried to be get together. Hmmmmmm! 77. I dated a lot of guys after that and until I met my first husband. 78. Besides Bob Segar, I love listening to Rick Astley (**sigh**), Billie Holliday, The Doors, Steely Dan, Chicago, Eagles, and Billy Joel. 79. My guilty pleasure is in 70's and Disco music. It brings back my early childhood. 80. Right after my dad passed away, I managed to hurt myself during the LAST day of the training program for my then-new job at the Mall of America. 81. I got hit on my left shoulder blade near the acromium by the tip of an ASP baton during a very rough class. 82. I ended up with a 2 inch DEEP hematoma and 3 inches in diameter round. It swelled up like a BITCH. 83. I also ended up on light duty for 4 months up until the LAST DAY I worked there. 84. I now have a HUGE bone spur on that area. 85. My Occupational Medicine doctor could not touch that area for THREE weeks because of the pain. 86. I did TWO MONTHS of PT to get my range of motion back. 87. I LOVE my FREE (thanks to Work Comp!) TENS machine that helped ALOT. 88. I do not go to the Mall of America that much after I left there. 89. I only bring out of town guests and friends there. 90. My favorite stores (and both good places to drink and eat) are Teavana and P.B. Loco. 91. I went to both places EVERY DAY I worked there and did not get sick of it. 92. I love drinking a cup of iced tea mixed with Banana Calypso and Spice Melange (and lots of sugar!) at Teavana.....or any of the herbal teas mixed with Spiced Melange. SOOOOOO yummy! 93. My favorite creation at P.B. Loco is a mixture of Dark Chocolate PB, Chocolate Chips, Marshmellow creme, and bananas on multi-grain (yes, there's something healthy in there!) and TOASTED. YUMMMMMMMY! 94. Both places knew me my name AND face when I came in for dinner within days. They would have my order started in seconds. 95. I am the oldest of three children - one sister and one brother. 96. I am the oldest grandchild on BOTH sides of my family. YES, I was ONE spoiled baby! Teehee! 97. I am a "natural" redhead in my family 'cept for one of my nieces. 98. My mom has brown hair...and LOTS of gray (Sorry, Mom!) so the red hair skipped her generation. 99. My grandma had beautiful red hair. 100. I know that 2007 will be the year for ME...and more change in my life - mostly positive....more later!

13 comments:

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

You've lived an interesting life.  I hope 2007 brings many good things your way.

Jess said...

i loved reading all the facts about your love...i feel like i've learned so much about you in like three minutes!

hopefully 2007 will be a rockin' year for all!

Neese said...

i enjoyed reading this post as well, very interesting.

Laurie said...

It is always nice to learn more about the background of fellow bloggers.

I had no idea that you were a Weight Watchers veteran. Congratulations on keeping the weight off. You look fabulous!

Lora said...

Loved learning more about you. Thanks for sharing.

And, yes, big time congrats on the weight loss and maintenance!!

Happy and Healthy New Year!!

Taunya said...

You've had an interesting life. It's good that you had a pleasant experience with your ex-mother-in-law. My ex-mother in law holds grudges in the worst way and I'm afraid it will never be like that.

Don said...

An interesting and complex life, reads almost like a novel. Good job. Congrats on the WW and other lemonade from lemons at various points in your life.

Wes said...

Very well done, Ms. Hanson! You've had more surgeries than most people I know :-) It's amazing how tunnel vision can make you think that stuff only happens to me until someone comes along and shares their own life experiences.

I've been meaning to do my own century, but I haven't had time. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend. Take care!!

Mmem said...

Great workout...and you have had a lot of living in your life so far.

Peace in 2007 to you!

Danielle said...

We'll have to go to Cold Stone sometime...I LOVE that place too (especially after "earning it" after a long run in the warm days!)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Nice workout and really cool post on your Century ride! -- well done!

Bob

SRR said...

WOW! That's a lot of info!

My Life said...

Loved this! You've definitely had an interesting life and I'm sure 2007 will give you even more adventures!