Translate

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Very, very horrible LAST long run...

Yes, fellow bloggers, it was THAT bad. I was all ready for the 18 miler and prepped myself for the run. Well, my body - especially my legs - had the final say. This is the conversation that I had with my body before the run. Self: I am going to run 18 miles today. Body: WTF?! Self: I am going to run 18 miles today. Body: Fuck you. Self: What?! Body: You heard me. Self: Why did you say that? Body: You are not going to do those miles. Self: Whatever! Well, my body won during this last long run, unfortunately. I was SO glad that I purchased the YakTraks because the paths on Lake Nokomis and the Minnehaha Trails were so shitty. They were full of ice and snow, which made the run a little bit more challenging. As I approached the first water stop, my stomach started cramping. Oh crap! I started praying that I could get through this long run because I still had almost 15 miles to go. Then the pain in my right leg started around mile 5 and continued to get worse at the second water stop. It stretched at every stop light and then again at the water stop. Instead of feeling better, the pain continued. As I got to the turn around point, I made a decision to not continue on with the full marathon - who were WAY ahead of me - and continue to finish with the half-marathoners were running. On top of that, I have decided to go down to the half-marathon instead of runnning the full. I feel SO bad about this decision, but I think my body has spoken a little louder than expected. I do not want to risk another injury that will prevent me from doing the Shamock Shuffle 8K in March - NO fucking way! In fact, here's the conversation that I had with my body AFTER the run. Self: Fuck you! Body: What?! Self: You heard me. Body: Maybe you should have listened to me. Self: Whatever! After I finished the run, I met up with the volunteer who does the bodywork for the team. She worked on my right leg, which was VERY tight and had two pressure points that were very sore. It felt very good. It even felt better to head home. I talked to one of my close friends on the phone and talked about the run. It really helped to talk about the frustration of the run. Once I got home, since I was already cold from the run, I took a nice warm bath with lots of epson salt. Then I took a very nice nap after eating something first. I feel SO bad about my performance. Right now, I feel like I let myself down along with everyone. I even feel like I let my dad down too. Anyways, I promised everyone that there would be a surprise in this post. I am SO sorry that I am posting this very late. It's worth the surprise. Well, the front side needs to be corrected, but you get the picture of the product. I could not fit EVERYONE's name on the back, but you will all be with me in spirit. Thank YOU so much for your support over this training period. You mean so much to me. You're all worth more than gold to me. Now it's taper time...and I am going to enjoy this time. Merry Christmas and Happy Hannakuh to everyone. Enjoy time with your families during this time. Today's work-out 10.94 miles 1:51:03 10:09/mile - Ok, I did not expect this pace because I did not feel that I was going that fast! 1210 calories burned - Serious Yummmies about to eaten. Half-Marathon goal time: 2:15

16 comments:

Charles said...

Don't beat yourself up over one lousy run. I have had more lousy runs then good ones and I don't think I have ever had a swim that wasn't lousy :-) Do what you think is best for the race. You know your body, but don't fell like you are letting anyone down. It's all a journey, you are just taking a different path then you thought you would, but you are still helping a great cause! Congrats, go team!, and have a great race.

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I agree with Charles, as I have also had more bad long runs than I can count.  The road to successful marathoning must be paved with bad runs (OK, that doesn't sound right.. but you know what I mean.) because everyone has them.

Denise, let me say yet again how incredibly impressed I am with everything you have accomplished.   As someone who also works at night I know how challenging it is to keep up regular workouts.  You have consistently maintained your discipline--and that is a huge deal!

Were it not for your body cracking up on you (and using bad language appearently) I have no doubt you would have pounded out those 18 miles in record time.

Everything in my gut (which right at this moment is a lot of Airborne and some toast) tells me that you will continue to improve your abilities and grow as a runner.  You've got potential, girl!

And you are going to do FAN FUCKING TASTIC at the PF Chang race, whatever the distance.

HOW SPICY WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR CHANG SAUCE!?

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Cool shirt! Good luck in the 'Chang!

Stay tuned...

Kristi said...

Awwww, I feel so special. You put my name on your shirt. You know we'll all be rooting for you and checking your progress on line on race day.
Don't beat yourself up too much over dropping back to the half marathon. Sometimes it's better to listen to your body than risk permenent injury or illness. I know it's hard, believe me, I know, but you'll make it.

L*I*S*A said...

Awwww, thanks for the props. :) You'll rock the 1/2, girly-girl!!

Iron Jayhawk said...

Oops...I'm still half asleep and I accidentally put this in the wrong post....


As much as it sucks, I think you made the right decision with moving down to the half. Not many folks are brave enough to listen to their bodies...you're going to come out of this on top--without injury--and you've let nobody down. So please don't be so hard on yourself!

Just think...you've been saving all this injury for the full, and now that you're running the half you can really push yourself to go balls to the wall...I bet if you put your mind to it, you can break two hours.

Good luck!

ps...your shirt is neat!

onepinkfuzzy said...

that bad of a last long run means the race will go really well.

seriously.

Dori said...

Denise, I'm touched! Thanks for the nice surprise--it's a great Christmas present. :-)

Sorry the marathon isn't going to work out for you next month. I know it's disappointing, but there will be others. You don't need to hurt yourself. And with your training, you're going to slay the 1/2!

I went running on Saturday, too, and it was such slow going with the ice and uneven footing. I was quite happy without the snow.

Neese said...

you will do wonderful in the half-marathon, 13.1 is nothing to sneeze at you should be so proud, run it and finish and enjoy your time there! The shirt thing is SO cool! it made me smile.

Josh Dysart said...

Awesome shirt! and you're going to absolutely 'rock' the half come the 14th.

Rae said...

What a great shirt!! That is so sweet!!

You are going to do GREAT in the half. GREAT!!!!!

Anne said...

You're doing the smart thing by just reaching for the half marathon instead of doing potentially long-term damage running the full. I speak from experience!

And what a beautiful way to honor those who've helped you get to the start...and finish.

Ms. Jones said...

Bad runs happen everfy once in a while...at least you got out there band ran though! Some people would just not do it when they hurt. Running a 1/2 marathon is still impressive and awesome.

Danielle said...

It's better to run what the body is ready and willing to do, than to push beyond and possibly hurt it for the long term. If you do the half, you'll be able to do another full another day, while if you pushed too much, you might end up injured and never running again. Don't feel bad. The shirt is awesome.

Laurie said...

I echo what everyone else has already said about doing the half and preventing a serious injury. You are right to listen to your body.

I am honored you will be running with my name on your shirt. I will be following you on race day.

jeanne said...

is that my name on the back there? It must be another jeanne! One who is much better at keeping up with her bloggy friends!

(if it IS me, well, THANK YOU!)

Anyway, i think you made a good decision too. You know what's best for you. Hang in there. I'll be following you too!