Translate

Monday, October 09, 2006

Off the treadmill...literately

It was a very tough day for Firefly's running. I had 4 miles planned on the treadmill. My body had another thing coming for me. It was rebelling. About 0.72 into the 4 miles, I had a flash of pain come down the back of my quad. It also sent a message to my brain saying, "Get OFF the damn treadmill NOW!" I did listen to the brain...for once. **sigh** I ended up jumping onto the eliptical machine instead to finish the 4 miles and so more. I was not happy with it. After the work-out, I made a phone-call to the chiropractor because I know that my damn hip flexor and pelvic tilt had something to do with it. I did not get any heat or relief from the TENS machine during my last adjustment....a BIG mistake! I have an appointment at 11 am tomorow. My quads are SO tight right now...especially on my left leg. I did alot of stretching and icing tonight. I will have the hubby help out when he gets home tonight with stretching the quads and hip flexors. I want to try running outside tommorow instead of being on the treadmill. I am almost thinking that's the cause of some of my pain. I hope not. I need the treadmill to get me through the very cold days...like Wednesday and Thursday where the S-word is expected. UGH! I hope tomorow's a better day. I am scheduled to run 5 miles....which I might count after today's run/cross-training day almost totaled 5 miles. I might run for 4 miles. I will see how I feel in the morning. My goal this week is get the 15 miles done on Sunday AM. Today's work-out Treadmill 0.72 miles 7:37 72 calories Eliptical machine 40:00 4.14 miles 471.4 calories burned 9:39/mile (I am on FIRE...no pain here!)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Perhaps your quads are still tight from your 12-miler. Hopefully with stretching you'll get your run in.

plodzilla said...

from plodzilla
did u run hard 2 days in a row??
or do you run hard/ easy

Firefly's Running said...

I ran at a slower pace on the treadmill compared to Saturday's run. The stretching felt good last night.

Jess said...

Maybe you should consider a massage to try and loosen up the muscle tension. I know they're expensive, but lots of runners use regular massage to combat the muscle tightness that comes along with running. If you do it, don't have the maseuse do a deep muscle massage, explain you're a runner and have him/her do a lengthening, soothing massage.

Wes said...

Yea, I vote for a rest day after the long run. You gotta heal up a bit girl.

Anonymous said...

Your smart to listen to your body. Most people just keep pushing and then end up in really bad shape. Your smart.

Wanna-be 5k-er said...

Oh, man, hope the quad feels better soon. WTG on being smart!

Anonymous said...

Take it easy. Sounds like you did the right thing to get off the treadmill. You can't run a race if you don't make it to the start line.