Translate

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Miles cut short due to injury

Yes, I have a new injury. At least I hope NOT. I was not really in the mood this morning to wake up at 6:45 for a group run. I did not sleep to well last night. I wish the location was a little closer so I could have slept in around 15 minutes or so. Oh well. I was NOT sleepy anymore once I prepped my lungs. I was awake!! I made my way to the location in another part of the Twin Cities metro area. The start of the group run was at 8 am. I gave the mission moment today, which became a little more emotional. Then we were off. The beginning of the run was okay. At about mile 1 of the run, I developed some pain in the outside of my right foot. It made running at a good pace difficult. I had NO choice, but to lower my pace down. Then I met up with my running coach. I described the pain to him. He thought it may be my shoes. He also asked me if I thought I could continue. I told him that I would try and see what happens at the halfway point of the 6 mile run. Then my coach and I ran again since I was the last of the group - outside of the half-marathoners who were doing 4 miles today. Once I got to mile 2.5, I knew that I had to STOP. The pace was going fine until I went uphill again - downhill was fine. I was a little bit disappointed, but I did not want to cause any further injury, if any. I got a ride back to the starting point and headed home. Once I reached home, I iced my foot and took some Advil. Then I went straight to bed after getting some carbs in, and fell asleep. Once I woke up, I ate something and then headed to Marathon Sports to buy some new shoes. I tried several pairs with the salesperson. I ended up getting a pair of New Balance 767's. They were the most comfortable - with stability and cushion. They were recommended by my running coach, but I wanted to make sure that they were perfect fit. Tommorow's scheduled rest day. I will see how I am doing by tommorow night and decided whether to switch to cross-training for a day or two or do my miles on Tuesday. Today's work-out 2.5 miles 26:34 10:47/mile

7 comments:

Jess said...

Bummer that you had to cut your run short. I hope it's nothing more than just your shoes giving you problems. Be sure to keep us posted on how you're doing.

Jeff said...

I just got a new model, and it changed my fortunes. Hope for the same for you. Keep at it.

Kurt said...

Make sure you check your socks also. That kind of foot pain on the outside of the foot could be shoe and or shoe sock combination. The other thing if you feel pain dont forget to ice it also.

Hopefully it was a transitory thing and no more issues with it.

Spandex King said...

Good Luck with your injury. It sucks when you have to cut back and you don't want to. If worse comes to worse, crosstrain. Running in the pool is always an option. I know it sucks to be inside this time of year. Thats what winters are for. Take care and most imprtant listen to your body.

! said...

Bummer..I hope it heals soon. Sucks to be drag down by an injury. Take care of you. and keep up the wonderful traing.

Danielle said...

Hopefully the new shoes do exactly what you need them to.

Who helped you at marathon? I actually have a cousin that works there, although I don't actually know him (isn't a close cousin) i just know his name is known on the local running scene.

Lora said...

Hope the shoes are the answer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!