Translate

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Why I HATE the treadmill...

..it's because it's BORING. B-O-R-I-N-G. I love being outside this time of the year. I hate being cooped inside when I exercise. But I hate it being this HOT. It topped at 102 here today. TOO damn hot for exercising...and too dangerous too. Well, I enjoyed having over 9 hours of sleep today. It was WONDERFUL. I also felt refreshed too. When I got home last night, my hubby asked, "You're not planning on sleeping in?" HELL yeah because I needed it. I was turning into a bitch by Thursday and Friday. I swear I was almost PMS-ing like poor Barb - aka Running Jayhawk. I am not my usual cheerful self. After I woke and finally got out of bed, I eat and prepped for a 3 mile session on the treadmill at the gym. I did not want to run outside especially because I was short on sleep for most of the week. I did not feel like getting VERY early just to beat the heat. The start of my 3 miles was okay. I was able to keep the incline to 1.5 and increasing to the pace towards what I have running outside. I got as close as 5.1, which was at a 11:50 pace - still slower but the best I could do. My left hip - the one that's having IT band problems started acting up around 1.5 miles into the run. So I slowed down to a 12:30 pace until the pain went away and slowly increase speed to a comfortable level. When I reached the 2.0 mile mark, I was just starting to get feel the burn and pushing myself to continue. I kept on mentally trying to keep myself psyched enough to finish the 3 miles. I started mentally imaging the path where I usually run and helping myself to continue. I kept on getting closer and closer to finishing and telling myself that I am almost done. Once I finished the 3 miles, I was so happy and just dripping with sweat. I was drenched! But it was well worth it. I finished the 3 miles at 37:30 - 3 minutes slower than Tuesday's run. But I reminded myself that I was on the treadmill and it will be a little bit slower. After I cleaned off the treadmill from my sweat, I completed a full body weight training sesssion (almost - missing my abs due to time). I felt good when I finished and proceeded homeward. When I arrived home, I prepared my post-workout smoothie, which contained frozen strawberries, whole banana, whey protein powder, fat-free milk, and ice cubes. It was very yummy! I headed work today, which was my "Friday". Tommorow's going to be a rest day - which I need. Monday, after the test, it will be a cross-training day and weight training day. Stay cool, everyone! Today's work-out 3 miles running on treadmill 37:30 12:30/mile pace Full-body weight training (except for the abs)

3 comments:

Rose said...

I am soooo with you on treadmill running. I have to run with music to help me keep the pace up because I get so bored. But there is no point in getting sick in the heat.

Rae said...

Between everything else going on I've been forced to use the treadmill more than usual lately. It's a love-hate but it gets the job done!! Enjoy your rest day!

onepinkfuzzy said...

dreadmill, yuck! but that smoothie sounds yummy!