Translate

Friday, July 21, 2006

Almost did not run!

Well, today was not a day where I wanted to go out and run. I was up late last night working on more TNT campaign stuff. Plus when my husband got home from work, he crawled straight to bed and told me that it was RAINING. NOOOOOOO! Not raining! It was supposed to rain this AFTERNOON - not this MORNING. I then end up hitting the snooze button a few more time until 10 am. I then finally realize that I need to get my butt out of bed so I can go out running. My first thought was that I would HAVE to get onto the treadmill. But I did not want to do that. I wanted to go OUTSIDE! It has been almost 2 weeks since I had a good run outside - mostly due to the heat. It was first good day since then that it was a good day for a run. Then I had my huge inspirational moment. The weatherguy on the midday news showed that the temps were in the mid-60's. YES! I am going out NOW! I got my running shoes on, prepped my lungs, and got my butt out the door. I want to go out and RUN. No one was going to stop me now. Or I thought so. As I got on to I-94 near DT Minneapolis, traffic was bumper-to-bumper. Down to a crawl. WTF! It's only 11:45 in morning. Not even NEAR rush hour. Come on, people. Get out of my way and let me RUN. Time's a wasting. It turns out that there was an accident scene on the right shoulder of the freeway....and PEOPLE were GAUKING at it. Move along, people. Let me by. I need to go out and run.....NOW! As I finally free my car from the mess, I get closer to my destination and look at my gas gauge. It's almost empty. I head to the nearest gas station and attempt to fill it. I wait...and wait....and wait for the clerk to authorize my pump. I was losing patience because I wanted to get outside and RUN. Run I must! I walk into the gas station and speak the clerk. He explained to me that I need to pre-pay. Ok...no biggie - just NO sign that says this. I pre-pay for $30 of gas (**gulp**), Gatorade, and walk back to the pump. I fill up and drive away. I FINALLY get to Lake Calhoun. I park my vehicle on a street near the sailboat marina. I walk to the starting point. I look at my watch and realize that it's 12:25 and I need to finish by 1 pm so I can get home on time. I click on the start button and I off. The first 0.5 mile was smooth, but after that - I slowly develop a slight shin splint pain. I slow my pace down a little bit, but not by walking - for about 2 - 3 minute. As the pain went away, I slowly increased my pace to a comfortable pace. Around mile 1.4, I develop a slight side stitch pain. I slow it down a little bit until the pain stopped and then increased it again. I was in CRUISE CONTROL and loved it! It was great. I only had to look my watch once or twice - just to check my pace. Around mile 2.5 marker, I get really excited. I was almost finished. I kept my sights on the sailboat marina. Getting closer.......and closer. Almost there. Around mile 2.8, I come to the hill that I hate. But I do not allow it defeat me or slow down my pace. I keep on moving. As I get to the finish marker at mile 3.0, I click the stop button on my stop watch. 33:31!! I did it and even beat my last outdpor run time by 20 seconds. It's not much, but something to be proud of. COOL! As I slow down to cool down, my legs start to feel like Jello and rubbery. I take easy because I just ran 3 miles. As I walk up to my car, I start to stretch my legs out before driving home. As I type this blog out, my left hip is screaming at me. I know that I need to ice my hip more when I get home from work. Plus I need to keep on moving to keep it loose. Tommorow and Sunday are both rest days....and I need it. It's still in the mid-70's right now...and WONDERFUL. Two more days to enjoy this before the heat comes back on Monday. OH DARN! Today's work-out 3 mile run 33:31 11:10/mile pace

13 comments:

Rose said...

Some days you just can't catch a break! At least you got outside, but it sure seems like all the planets were aligned against it. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

Neese said...

great 3 miler, i'd love to get an outdoor run in soon, myself! good job!

carmen said...

What a way to get out there and just RUN! Woman on a mission...watch out!! And geez, don't you just abhor people that gawk at accident scenes! How rude.

onepinkfuzzy said...

yay, you ran! outside!! woo hoo!!!

onepinkfuzzy said...

I forgot - do you have a foam roller? it might help with the hip pain...

Taunya said...

Great Run. Way to stick to your plan. I don't know if I would've been that dedicated.

LeahC said...

awesome! nice way to stick to the plan even after traffic and having get the gas. excellently done!

Lora said...

Way to keep going when everything around you was in the way. Love the music mix...I think I'll just leave your blog open so I can hear it all!!! Thx for the treat!! :)
Watch that hip....stretch for an IT Band injury and see if it helps.

Lora said...

Way to keep going when everything around you was in the way. Love the music mix...I think I'll just leave your blog open so I can hear it all!!! Thx for the treat!! :)
Watch that hip....stretch for an IT Band injury and see if it helps.

Amy said...

Great run! And I am sooooo jealous of those temps!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I love your blog! And thanks for the smoothie recipe you gave me - I'm going to try it asap!

Nice job on getting your run in...it's those little victories that turn into huge gains after awhile. Way to go!

SRR said...

Good for you! I would've thrown in the towel seeing the first traffic jam.

Danielle said...

Don't you love gawker traffic?? And what's with gas stations that require pre-pay that don't have a sign up (I ran into that in Fairbault on Saturday night)...Good job on the run though. I wish I had gotten out while it was raining, I don't think it rained by me...I was even down laying around the lake about the time you were running, if I had known I would've watched for you.