Translate

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Day two on shoulder pain

Well, as the subject reads, my shoulder still is giving me crap. I slept like &*%@& last night tossing and turning most of the night even though I went to bed much sooner than normal. The Tiger Balm only worked for a short time. Then, the sign of nerve impingment came back with my left arm giving me the same feeling as last summer. Last summer just SUCKED because I could not do much of anything except for running. I broke down this afternoon and finally called the orthopaedic surgeon's office only to find out that my doctor left the officer earlier this year. UGH! I have an appointment with Physician's Assistant on Thursday AM. I have already asked my husband to drive me there that day because I know that a cortisone shot will be given, which makes it hard for me drive home. I will be fine by the time I go to work at 2:30 p.m. But it will be a short work-out day for me that day - only cardio - NO weights. Ice and Advil are my best friends right now. Well, as I promised in my previous post. I will give you a list of tips that have helped me to stay fueled during my last marathon that helped me lose some weight. I will keep it short for now since my shoulder is bothering me a bit as I type. 1. Drink water (and lots of it!). I found that water helps regulate my appetite and hydrated before and after runs. I made it a habit to drink at least 12 glasses of water on the days that I work-out. I usually drink at least 3 of those during my work-out and 2 glasses about a hour I head to the gym or out for a run. My new favorite source of fuel is the new Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I find it much easier to ingest vs. guzzling a bottle of sport drink and feel more hydrated as well. 2. Eat every 2 to 3 hours. It's crazy, but it has worked for me. I try to keep the meals small - not a 4 course load. It usually consist of something with a combination of protein and carbs like a turkey sandwich with a 8 oz. glass of chocolate milk. It helps me stay focused and less hungry later. I usally have fresh and dried fruit, soynuts (NOT the chocolate covered soynuts!), fruit leather, a banana, and yogurt on hand at work nearby or in the breakroom fridge. I find planning ahead at the grocery store helps. 3. Variety, variety, variety. One thing that I have learned that if you do not mix it up, you WILL get bored very easily. Being bored with your choices is BAD. It will make easier to make very bad choices on a whim. Mixing up sandwiches like Peanut Butter and Jelly on a whole wheat bagel along with turkey or even roast beef. It's more important to have fun with your choices, which make it easier to stick with these good habits. 4. Eat your protein and carbs after each run or work-out. It's SO important because protein helps with recovery. Protein also helps with minimizing muscle soreness by helping the muscle repair caused by the work-out. I have a protein shake and a banana after most of work-outs, IF I am lifting weights. I found that protein helps with recovery, but also with the weight-loss. If you can not get yourself a protein shake, chocolate milk will do just fine until you get some more protein, like a turkey sandwich. 5. Weight training is a MUST! I learned the HARD WAY during my last marathon. I did my training runs, but I did not help my muscles by adding weight training. I have added it to my work-out routine now and see the difference BIG TIME. During the last 5K that I completed, I boosted my 5K time by almost 3 minutes. My pace went up from 15:10 per mile to 12:30 per mile. That's HUGE! Plus my muscles were not so sore afterwards because I used weight training. If you do not know what to do, consult a personal trainer to help you out. 6. Portion control is another MUST! I know that this is going to sound totally anal, but it helps. Measure everything you eat. First, it will open your eyes to how much you have been eating. Second, it will educate yourself on what you are SUPPOSED to be eating. It takes 21 days to develop a habit, so it will take you that long to get your brain (and stomach) used to what it should be eating. I learned this tip when I started Weight Watchers over 4 years ago after the birth of my daughter and lost 50 lbs. 10 lbs have come back over those years in muscle weight, but most of it has been GONE! Buy an extra set of measuing cups and spoons for work - so you do not lose the set meant for home. The results will pay off in the long run....outside of the funny looks you will get from your co-workers - that will pass. Please let me know if you need any help. I will try my best or refer you to a website to find it or post it in another blog. I took a class in Sports Nutrition years ago(former Exercise Science/Nutrition major - but could not pass A & P - UGH!) and tend to use that knowledge that I have build upon. Today's Workout 45 mins of cardio on eliptical machine 4.25 miles 25 mins weight training (Lower Body and Abs)

3 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

I hope your shoulder feels better soon sweetpea. :( That's no bueno.

Does biofreeze help at all?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the diet tips -- I've been wondering what I should be eating.

And good luck with your shoulder. I know how crappy injuries can be :(. BTW, I have an injury story contest on my blog & I'm giving away a free book. Enter if you want and at least there might be a little bit of a bright side.

SRR said...

Great Tips Chica!